50+ Top Digital Marketing Statistics for 2023
Brad Owens | Aug 30, 2023Reading Time: 7 minutes
Digital marketing is a rapidly evolving field that encompasses various strategies and channels. These digital marketing statistics highlight the importance and effectiveness of different digital marketing approaches. But what is digital marketing, and what are some digital marketing statistics that matter?
What is digital marketing?
Digital marketing refers to promoting products or services using digital technologies and channels like the Internet, social media, mobile devices, search engines, email marketing, and other digital platforms. It encompasses a wide range of strategies and tactics to reach a target audience, increase brand awareness, drive website traffic, and ultimately generate leads and sales. Digital marketing allows businesses to engage with their customers in real time, gather valuable insights and data, personalize marketing messages, and measure the effectiveness of their campaigns. It has become essential to modern-day marketing, enabling companies to reach a global audience and compete in the digital marketplace.
Type of Marketing and their importance
Content marketing is crucial for lead generation and SEO, while social media plays a significant role in reaching and engaging with a wide audience. Video marketing has proven to be highly influential in driving conversions, and email marketing remains a powerful tool for customer retention and acquisition. Lastly, advertising statistics demonstrate digital ads’ increasing investment and impact in the global marketing landscape. Businesses can leverage these insights to optimize their digital marketing strategies and achieve better results.
We are now going to look into the various digital marketing statistics as per the type of marketing and share some of the stats that every business owner needs to know
What is content marketing?
Content marketing involves creating and distributing valuable, relevant and consistent content to attract and engage a specific target audience. The main purpose of content marketing is to provide useful information, entertainment, or inspiration to potential customers rather than directly promoting a product or service. By delivering valuable content, businesses aim to build trust, establish their expertise, and ultimately drive profitable customer action.
One of the key elements of content marketing is storytelling. Brands use storytelling techniques to create compelling narratives that captivate their audience and build a connection with them. This could involve sharing personal experiences, case studies, or even fictional stories that resonate with the target audience. By telling stories, businesses can evoke emotions, provoke thought, and build a sense of loyalty and engagement with their customers. Additionally, content marketing often utilizes various channels such as blogs, social media platforms, videos, podcasts, and email newsletters to reach and engage a wider audience.
Content Marketing Statistics:
- 70% of B2C marketers are actively investing in content marketing.
- Companies that blog receive 97% more inbound links to their website.
- Content marketing generates three times as many leads as traditional outbound marketing but costs 62% less.
- 72% of marketers say relevant content creation is the most effective SEO tactic.
- Companies that blog have 55% more visitors.
- 91% of B2B marketers use content marketing to reach customers.
- Long-form content generates 9 times more leads than short-form content.
- 60% of marketers create at least one piece of content each day.
- 78% of CMOs believe custom content is the future of marketing.
- 87% of B2B buyers say that online content has a major impact on their purchasing decisions.
What is social media marketing?
Social media marketing refers to using social media platforms and websites to promote a product, service, or brand. It involves creating and sharing content on social media networks to engage with and attract a target audience. The goal of social media marketing is to build brand awareness, increase website traffic, generate leads, and ultimately drive sales.
Through social media marketing, businesses can connect with their audience on a more personal level by engaging in conversations, sharing valuable content, and responding to comments and messages. It allows companies to build customer relationships, gain insights into their preferences and behavior, and tailor their marketing efforts accordingly. Social media marketing also allows businesses to showcase their brand personality, values, and unique selling propositions, creating a sense of authenticity and building customer trust.
To effectively leverage social media marketing, businesses need to develop a strategic plan that includes identifying their target audience, selecting the appropriate social media platforms, creating compelling and shareable content, engaging with their audience, and analyzing and adjusting their strategies based on performance metrics. By embracing social media marketing, businesses can enhance their online presence, increase brand visibility, and reach a wider audience, ultimately leading to improved business growth and success.
Social Media Statistics:
- There are 4.89 billion social media users worldwide in 2023.
- Facebook has over 2.9 billion monthly active users in 2023.
- Instagram has over 2.35 billion monthly active users in 2022.
- According to instagram, 90% of Instagram users follow at least one business account.
- 79% of internet users have a Facebook account.
- 71% of consumers who have had a good social media service experience with a brand are likely to recommend it to others.
- 54% of social media users use social media to research products.
- LinkedIn is the most popular social media platform for B2B marketers.
- 57% of marketers believe that their efforts through social media marketing (stories) have been “somewhat effective” or “very effective” for their business.
- 92% of marketers believe that social media is important for their business.
What is video marketing?
Video marketing is a form of marketing strategy that involves creating and sharing videos to promote a product, service, or brand. It is a powerful tool for businesses to engage with their target audience and convey their message visually and interactively. Video marketing can be done through various channels, such as social media platforms, websites, email campaigns, and video hosting sites like YouTube.
One of the key advantages of video marketing is its ability to capture and retain viewers’ attention. Videos have the potential to evoke emotions, tell compelling stories, and showcase products or services in a visually appealing manner. This makes them more memorable and impactful compared to other forms of content. Additionally, videos can effectively convey complex information or demonstrate product features, making it easier for consumers to understand and make informed decisions. Video marketing also allows for better targeting and personalization, as businesses can tailor videos to specific audience segments, increasing the likelihood of engagement and conversion. Video marketing has become essential for businesses to build brand awareness, increase customer engagement, and drive sales.
Video Marketing Statistics:
- 91% of businesses use video as a marketing tool.
- YouTube is the second most visited website after Google.
- Videos on landing pages can increase conversion rates by 80%.
- 90% of consumers say that video helps them make buying decisions.
- 64-85% of consumers are more likely to purchase a product after watching a video about it.
- 70% of B2B marketers say video is the most effective medium for driving conversions.
- 87% of video marketers say video has increased traffic to their website.
- 72% of people prefer video over text when learning about a product or service.
- Social media videos generate 1200% more shares than text and image combined.
- 93% of businesses gained a new customer due to a video posted on social media.
What is email marketing?
Email marketing is a form of direct marketing that involves sending promotional messages or information to a group of people through email. It is a highly effective strategy for businesses and organizations to connect with their target audience, build relationships, and drive conversions.
Email marketing allows businesses to reach a large number of customers or potential customers directly in their inboxes. It provides a platform for businesses to communicate personalized messages, offers, updates, and newsletters to their subscribers. By segmenting their email list based on demographics, interests, or previous interactions, businesses can tailor their messages to specific groups, increasing the chances of engagement and conversion.
One of the key advantages of email marketing is its cost-effectiveness. Email marketing requires minimal investment compared to traditional marketing channels like print media or television advertisements. It eliminates the need for printing and postage costs, making it a cost-efficient option for businesses of all sizes. Additionally, email marketing allows for easy tracking and analysis of campaign performance, enabling businesses to measure the success of their efforts and make data-driven decisions to optimize future campaigns.
Email Marketing Statistics:
- Email marketing has an average ROI of 4400%.
- 80% of businesses relied on email marketing for customer retention..
- Personalized subject lines increase open rates by 50%.
- 59% of consumers say marketing emails influence their purchase decisions.
- 80% of professionals believe that email marketing increases customer acquisition.
- 86% of consumers prefer emails from companies they do business with at least monthly.
- Segmented email campaigns have a 760% increase in email revenue than non-segmented campaigns.
- Automated email campaigns generate 320% more revenue than non-automated campaigns.
- 75% of Gmail users access their accounts on mobile devices.
- 49% of consumers said they would like to receive promotional emails from their favorite brands on a weekly basis.
What is advertising?
Advertising is a form of communication that aims to promote a product, service, or idea to a target audience. It is a paid, non-personal form of marketing that uses various media channels such as television, radio, print, online platforms, and social media to reach potential customers. The main objective of advertising is to create awareness, generate interest, influence consumer behavior, and ultimately drive sales or achieve specific goals set by the advertiser.
In addition to promoting products and services, advertising also plays a crucial role in building brand identity and reputation. Through strategic messaging, creative visuals, and effective storytelling, advertisements help to differentiate brands from their competitors and establish a unique positioning in the minds of consumers. Advertising campaigns often incorporate persuasive techniques, such as emotional appeals, humor, celebrity endorsements, or testimonials, to capture the attention and interest of the target audience. By creating a memorable and compelling advertising campaign, companies can effectively communicate their value proposition and ultimately persuade consumers to choose their product or service over alternatives.
- Global digital ad spending is valued at $601 billion in 2023.
- 54% of social media users use social media to research products.
- Display ads have an average click-through rate of 0.35%.
- Native ads receive 53% more views than traditional display ads.
- 70% of consumers prefer to learn about products through content over traditional advertising.
- Online advertising is the fastest-growing advertising medium, with a growth rate of 17% per year.
- Mobile advertising spending is expected to surpass TV advertising spending by 2022.
- Facebook ads have an average conversion rate of 9.21%.
- 64% of consumers say that ads on mobile devices are annoying and intrusive.
- Retargeted ads have a 10 times higher click-through rate compared to regular display ads.
Final thoughts: Digital marketing statistics
Digital marketing statistics are a valuable resource for businesses to understand consumer behavior, trends, and preferences. They highlight the importance of content marketing, social media marketing, video marketing, email marketing, and advertising in effectively reaching and engaging with target audiences. By staying informed and leveraging these statistics, businesses can optimize their digital marketing strategies to drive better results and stay ahead in a competitive online landscape.
Frequently Asked Questions
Digital marketing statistics refer to the numerical data and metrics that provide insights into the performance and effectiveness of various digital marketing strategies, channels, and campaigns. These statistics help businesses analyze and measure the impact of their digital marketing efforts.
Digital marketing statistics play a vital role in understanding and optimizing digital marketing strategies.
Digital marketing has become highly successful due to several factors. Firstly, it allows businesses to precisely target and reach their desired audience, ensuring their marketing efforts are seen by the right people.
Brad Owens is a BGS Revenue Optimization expert, instructor, and coach with Ecommerce Business Blueprint (EBB) and EBB Elite. He started working in ecommerce back when Amazon had auctions (hint: that was a long time ago!) and has extensive experience with marketplaces, stores, and retail—even owning a comic shop for eight years. A graduate of the Atlanta Institute of Music, he can sometimes be spotted around Atlanta playing guitar in his hard-rock disco band.