Boost Your Ecommerce Conversion Rate With Conversational Copywriting
Irene Wanja | Nov 01, 2022Reading Time: 4 minutes
You know the feeling. You’re scrolling through your Facebook feed, and you see an ad for a product you’ve been thinking about buying. So, you click on the link and land on the website. But as soon as you start reading, you realize the copy is stiff, formal, and just plain boring. So you close the page and forget all about that product. If only the website had used conversational copywriting, you might have been convinced to buy it then and there.
What Is Conversational Copywriting?
Conversational copywriting is simply writing that sounds like a normal conversation. It’s not overly formal or stilted; instead, it flows easily and naturally, as if you’re talking to a friend. This style of writing is becoming more and more popular—and for good reason as it is designed to be more relatable and engaging, which can in turn lead to more conversions. In a world where we’re constantly bombarded with marketing messages, conversational copywriting cuts through the noise and gets your message across in a way that feels natural and human.
Why You Should Use It
The benefits of using conversational copywriting on your ecommerce store are numerous, but here are a few of the most important ones:
- It builds trust: When you use conversational copywriting, you come across as friendly and trustworthy—two qualities that are essential for boosting conversion rates.
- It’s easy to read: Because it’s written in a natural, flowing style, conversational copy is easy for people to read and understand—unlike dense blocks of text that are full of jargon.
- It connects with your audience: When you write conversationally, you connect with your audience on a personal level, which makes them more likely to buy from you.
- It boosts engagement rates: When readers enjoy your content, they’re more likely to stick around until the end, which increases the chances that they’ll take action (such as making a purchase), thus, conversational copywriting can also help boost engagement rates by making your content more engaging and enjoyable to read.
- It boosts conversion rates: All of these factors come together to boost your conversion rate—meaning more people buy from you when you use conversational copywriting on your ecommerce store.
How to Use It on Your Ecommerce Store
Now that we’ve gone over some of the reasons why you should be using conversational copywriting on your ecommerce store, let’s take a look at how to actually do it. Here are a few tips:
- Use contractions: One of the easiest ways to make your writing sound more conversational is to use contractions. Using contractions such as “don’t” or “can’t” can make your content sound more natural and relaxed. For example, instead of saying “You will not find a better deal anywhere else,” you could say “You won’t find a better deal anywhere else.”
- Address your reader directly: Another great way to sound more conversational is to address your reader directly throughout your copy. For example, instead of saying “our customers love our products,” try something like “you’re going to love our products.” See how much more personal and engaging that sounds?
- Ask questions: Asking questions is a great way to engage with your audience and get them thinking about your products or services. For example, you could say “Are you looking for a new dress for your upcoming wedding?” or “Do you need a new pair of shoes for work?”
- Use short sentences: When you use short sentences, your writing sounds clearer and easier to understand—which helps keep people engaged. So instead of writing long, complicated sentences full of clauses, try breaking things up into shorter, simpler sentences. Not only will this make your writing sound more conversational; it will also make it easier for people to understand what you’re saying—which is always a good thing when it comes to conversion rates.
- Include customer testimonials: Customer testimonials are an excellent way to show off the benefits of your products or services while also sounding conversational. Be sure to include testimonials that sound natural and genuine, as this will help boost conversions.
How It Can Help Boost Your Conversion Rate
Conversational copywriting can help boost your conversion rate in several ways. First, it can make your store more relatable and approachable. If potential customers feel like they know you and can trust you, they are more likely to do business with you. Secondly, conversational copy can help reduce the cognitive load on the reader by breaking down complex information into smaller, easier-to-digest chunks. This makes it more likely that potential customers will stick around long enough to convert, instead of bouncing off your site because they feel overwhelmed. Finally, conversational copy can create a sense of urgency and encourage potential customers to take action now instead of later.
If you’re thinking about using conversational copywriting on your ecommerce store, there are a few things to keep in mind. First, don’t overdo it—too much conversation can come across as salesy or spammy. Secondly, make sure your tone is consistent throughout your site; if you switch back and forth between formal and casual language, it will only serve to confuse potential customers. Lastly, remember that conversation is a two-way street—be sure to leave room for feedback from potential customers so you can continue the conversation even after they’ve converted.
If you want people to buy from your ecommerce store, using conversational copywriting is a great way to boost your conversion rate. This style of writing uses natural language to sound like a conversation, which can help increase conversions by making your brand more relatable. By sounding friendly and trustworthy, addressing your reader directly, and keeping things clear and concise, you can connect with your audience on a personal level—encouraging them to buy from you again and again. So what are you waiting for? Start incorporating conversational copywriting into your content today and if you are not sure where to start, get in touch with us at workwithbgs.com and we can point you in the right direction or simply get it done for you.
About the author
Irene, a skilled Revenue Optimization Specialist for Build Grow Scale, combines an unparalleled focus on user research and a deep understanding of the ecommerce customer journey to orchestrate optimal shopping experiences. With an uncanny knack for detecting and addressing customer pain points through meticulous user testing, she utilizes tools such as moderated user tests, heatmaps, scrollmaps, and clickmaps to fast-track improvements in user experience and usability. Her keen eye for detail aids in swiftly spotting potential issues and implementing solutions, all while working closely with store owners and applying her intricate comprehension of user interactions. Passionate about software and technology, Irene immerses herself in enhancing her clients' business clarity, efficiency, and user satisfaction. Even though the value of user experience doesn't conform to a conventional numerical scale, the tangible outcomes of her work—improved user experience, amplified retention rates, and reduced customer support issues—are testaments to her prowess. Beyond her revenue optimization skills, Irene is a skilled writer and copywriter. She weaves her profound insights into engaging prose, crafting content that not only resonates with diverse audiences but also demystifies the complexities of user experience, consequently benefitting businesses worldwide.