5 Benefits of Letting Your Ecom Store’s Subscribers Choose Their Email Frequency
Irene Wanja | Feb 21, 2023Reading Time: 4 minutes
As an ecommerce business owner, it’s important to keep your subscribers engaged with your emails. One way to do this is to allow users to choose the frequency of emails they receive from you. This way, you can prevent them from unsubscribing or becoming disengaged with your email campaigns. Let’s take a look at why this is important and how to implement it on your website.
What’s in it for you?
When you give customers control over their email frequency, they’re more likely to stay subscribed and engaged with your emails. They won’t be overwhelmed by too many emails, and they won’t miss out on important information because they unsubscribed. According to a research conducted by Baymard Institute, 62% of users unsubscribed from emails because they received too many emails.
Baymard Institute statistical data on reasons why users unsubscribe.
Here are several benefits of allowing users to choose your ecommerce store’s email frequency:
- Improved user experience: When users sign up for an ecommerce store’s email list, they often expect to receive regular updates about promotions, new products, and other news related to the store. However, some users may find it overwhelming to receive too many emails, while others may feel they don’t get enough communication from the store. By allowing users to choose how often they receive emails, you can personalize their experience and make them feel more in control. This can lead to higher satisfaction with your brand and a better overall experience.
- Increased engagement: By giving users the option to choose their email frequency, you can increase their engagement with your brand. Users who have control over their communication preferences are more likely to open and engage with your emails. This is because they have a say in how often they receive messages and can tailor their communication to their needs and preferences. When users are more engaged with your brand, they are also more likely to click through to your website, which can increase traffic and sales.
- Reduced unsubscribe rates: Allowing users to choose their email frequency can help reduce your unsubscribe rates. When users receive too many emails that are not relevant to their interests or needs, they are more likely to unsubscribe from your list. By allowing users to control the frequency of emails, you can reduce the number of irrelevant messages they receive. This can make them less likely to unsubscribe from your list, which can help maintain your list size and increase the likelihood that users will make purchases in the future.
- Improved email deliverability: By reducing unsubscribe rates and increasing engagement, you can improve your email deliverability. Email service providers are more likely to consider your emails as relevant and valuable if they are opened and engaged with. When users engage with your emails, this signals to email providers that your messages are valuable to users. This can lead to better deliverability, meaning that more of your messages will make it into users’ inboxes instead of being filtered out as spam.
- Increased sales: Finally, by giving users more control over their email communication, you can increase sales. When users receive personalized, relevant, and timely emails, they are more likely to engage with your brand, visit your website, and make purchases. By allowing users to choose their email frequency, you can ensure that they are receiving the right messages at the right time. This can lead to higher click-through rates, more website traffic, and ultimately more sales for your ecommerce store.
How to implement customer preference settings
The first step is to create a preference center where customers can manage their email settings. On this page, you should include options for customers to choose how often they want to receive emails from you (e.g., weekly, monthly, etc.). You should also give them the option to opt-out entirely if that’s what they prefer. Make sure that these settings are easy for customers to find and navigate so that they have no trouble changing their preferences as needed.
In addition, you should also include an option for customers to “unsubscribe” from all of your emails instead of just choosing a different frequency setting. This will ensure that those who no longer wish to receive any communications from you can do so easily without having to wade through multiple pages and menus in order to make changes.
Klaviyo offers this option when you set up your mailing list.
Giving users control over their email frequency is an effective way for ecommerce store owners to keep subscribers engaged and prevent unsubscribes due to too frequent or infrequent emails being sent out by the company. By implementing preference settings on your website, customers will feel like they are in control of their experience with your brand which will help foster loyalty and satisfaction among those who remain subscribed after making changes in their preferences. With these tips in mind, you should be able to successfully use email frequency customization as a tool for keeping subscribers engaged for the long haul!
Baymard Institute. (2022). Allow Users to Choose the Frequency of Newsletter Emails (80% Don’t).
About the author
Irene, a skilled Revenue Optimization Specialist for Build Grow Scale, combines an unparalleled focus on user research and a deep understanding of the ecommerce customer journey to orchestrate optimal shopping experiences. With an uncanny knack for detecting and addressing customer pain points through meticulous user testing, she utilizes tools such as moderated user tests, heatmaps, scrollmaps, and clickmaps to fast-track improvements in user experience and usability. Her keen eye for detail aids in swiftly spotting potential issues and implementing solutions, all while working closely with store owners and applying her intricate comprehension of user interactions. Passionate about software and technology, Irene immerses herself in enhancing her clients' business clarity, efficiency, and user satisfaction. Even though the value of user experience doesn't conform to a conventional numerical scale, the tangible outcomes of her work—improved user experience, amplified retention rates, and reduced customer support issues—are testaments to her prowess. Beyond her revenue optimization skills, Irene is a skilled writer and copywriter. She weaves her profound insights into engaging prose, crafting content that not only resonates with diverse audiences but also demystifies the complexities of user experience, consequently benefitting businesses worldwide.